We are FINALLY feeling better in our house! Man, I can’t tell you how rough it has been. Over the past week, I started running again and I can actually go out in public now without feeling like I have to hide my rashy hands.
We are getting hit hard with the rain in Houston, so today was the perfect day to work on my photo albums and bake my favorite bran muffins! Theo must be going through a growth spurt, because he slept in till 10 today! So, I got out his photo album and my new Polaroid Zip Printer and started working.
I also got the cutest care package from my mom today! She’s the sweetest and she always includes candy for Todd! She sent a couple of Valentine’s Day banners and a Heidi Swapp planner! My mom introduced me to these babies (check here for her video.) It’s basically a creative way for me to journal my year. I can fill it with pictures, notes, movie tickets, etc.
One of my sweet friends who shares the same love and appreciation of a good bran muffin as I do came over for some baking! I don’t meet a lot of people who enjoy bran muffins so it’s nice to have a friend to bake them with! Growing up my mom made these bran muffins all the time and we top them with delicious honey butter! Seriously, incredible! Even if you aren’t a fan of the bran, ANYTHING tastes good when it’s drowning in honey butter.
Veronica Hunter’s Bran Muffin Recipe:
6 cups 100% Kelloggs All Bran Cereal
2 Cups water
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
4 large eggs
1 quart (4 cups) Buttermilk
5 tsp Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
5 Cups Whole Wheat Flour (or you can use white flour is you prefer.)
4 bananas, mashed
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2) Bring two cups of water to a boil. Add 2 cups of the 100% Kelloggs All Bran Cereal. Remove from heat when the cereal has dissolved into the water (this should happen within 15 seconds or less). Set aside.
3) In a separate bowl (I prefer a standing mixer) cream together the sugar, butter, and eggs.
4) Add the buttermilk, and bran/water mixture to the creamed mixture.
5) Add in the baking soda, salt, flour, remaining 4 cups of 100% Kelloggs All Bran Cereal, and bananas. (Note: Your mixture will be VERY full, stir on low setting until all combined).
6) Bake in greased or lined muffin tins for 15 minutes. Let cool for half an hour. For fresh muffins every day, you can store extra batter for up to a week in the fridge. Serve with honey butter.
I hope you are having a great week, and if you are in Houston, I hope you are staying safe and dry in all of this crazy rain!